• Chữa bài IELTS Task 1

• Oanh

Participant
      April 17, 2018 at 8:24 pm

The bar chart illustrates the most favorite outdoor activities played by boys and girls in New Zealand in 2002. Overall, there were a significant differences between girls and boys in the percentage of joining in sports.
      In terms of netball, there were over 25% in proportion of girls participating this kind of sport while just 1% of boys feeling excited with it. More boys than girls chose soccer to play, 25% compared to 5%. At approximately 23% of the total, swimming became the second favorite activity of the girls whereas only 13% boys like this one. Continued with other sports, there were roughly 10% girls and less than 20% boys taking part in it.
      Additionally, the girls playing cricket just accounted for one in ten compared to 10% of the boys. Approximately 4% boys and 5% girls keen on participating athletics. In terms of marital arts, basketball and tennis, fewer girls than boys liked playing this ones, with around 5%, 7% and 9% in the proportion of the girls and 10%, 9%, 9.5% in the proportion of the others.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • dongmanhkien

Participant
      April 18, 2018 at 11:31 pm

Here you go, your “brutally” honest review!
      If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask :”)

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      • Oanh

Participant
        April 19, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Can you help me to complete this sentence: “Additionally, the girls playing cricket just accounted for one in ten compared to 10% of the boys” ?
        I still do not digest it :(

• dongmanhkien

Participant
          April 19, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Okay, this one is really just about expression.

The phrase “compared to” is used in situations where you mention two figures, one after another, for example: “The figure of girls is 10%, which is small compared to the figure of boys, at 30%.” Variations of this phrase include: “compared with” or “in comparison with”.

With that in mind, there’s one potential way that this sentence can be misunderstood: “one in ten” may mean that the figure of girls was 10%, which if it was the case then the percentages of girls and boys would be equal.

So to avoid this possible misconception, I changed your sentence to: “Additionally, the girls playing cricket just accounted for only 1%, (which was) one-tenth that of the boys. (which means that the figure of boys is 10%)”. In this way, the readers can know for sure that the figure of girls is 1% instead of 10%.

Hope this can help you understand.
          If you have any other question, please just ask me, don’t hesitate!

• Oanh

Participant
            April 19, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Thanks I got it^^

Viewing 1 reply thread

The forum ‘Chữa bài IELTS Task 1’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Học IELTS Online