Bài viết sau sẽ gợi ý cho bạn các từ/cụm thừ tốt có thể dùng trong các phần thi IELTS, nhất là IELTS Writing và IELTS Reading đấy! Việc đọc và tìm từ như thế này trong quá trình tự học IELTS, ngoài tập trung giải đề của từng kĩ năng, chính là cách bạn có thể tiết kiệm thời gian học và ôn luyện được nhiều kĩ năng cùng một lúc đấy! Cùng xem nhé!
Hãy đọc đoạn văn sau:
” Youssef Boughrara lives in the country of Morocco. He is a tour guide. He leads people on trips to visit Morocco’s important cultural places. One day, Boughrara was driving in the desert. He met two young boys. Boughrara began to talk with the boys. He learned that they were members of a nomadic desert tribe. Their tribe does not have permanent homes. Instead, they move around and live in tents. Boughrara also learned that the boys did not know how to read or write.
This shocked Boughrara. He believed all children should have the right to education. So, he decided to help. Now, his tour company gives part of their profits to support the education of nomadic children.
But Boughrara and many others have learned that money is only part of the solution to educating nomadic children. Over the years, governments have tried many different policies to educate nomadic children. But the most successful efforts involve teachers who are willing to live a nomadic way of life. Today’s Spotlight is on efforts to bring education to the children of nomadic tribes.
In the country of Jordan, there are nomadic tribes called Bedouin. One teacher has sacrificed much to serve this community. His name is Mohammad al Damaniyyeh. Al Damaniyyeh has lived and travelled with Bedouin tribes for many years. And he has taught several generations of Bedouin children to read. Al Damaniyyeh does not receive money for teaching. Instead, he depends on the Bedouin to provide for his needs.
Al Damaniyyeh admits that this method of teaching is difficult. He teaches in a tent. He often lacks supplies. And every three months, he travels with the Bedouin to find food and water for their animals. The climate is very hot. Conditions are extremely difficult. And Al Damaniyyeh does not have a home or any modern devices. But Al Damaniyyeh does have successful and thankful students.”
Từ vựng tốt:
– nomadic (adj): du cư, nay đây mai đó – belonging to a community that moves with its animals from place to place.
– tribe (n): bộ lạc – a group of people of the same race, and with the same customs, language, religion, etc., living in a particular area and often led by a chief
– permanent (adj): cố định, vĩnh viễn – lasting for a long time
– to be on effort(s) to: nỗ lực để làm gì đó – sẽ hay hơn khi bạn chỉ dùng “effort”
– will to: sẵn lòng làm gì đó – khác với trợ động từ “will”, thường được thể hiện ở dạng -ing ” I’m willing to”
– sacrifice (v): hi sinh – to give up something that is important or valuable to you in order to get or do something that seems more important for yourself or for another person
– lack (v): thiếu thốn – to have none or not enough of something
Bạn có thể tham khảo bài viết đầy đủ Teaching in Tents – Jen Hawkins.